License Management is available with SmartServer 3.3 and higher.
This section describes how the Manage Licenses dialog can be accessed and the contents of its display.
This section consists of the following:
Opening the Manage Licenses Dialog
The Manage Licenses dialog provides the ability to activate licenses, download/transfer licenses from/to the cloud, and /wiki/spaces/DrftSSIoT/pages/1475135.
Note: The Manage Licenses dialog and its features are only available for the Owner user type.
The Manage Licenses dialog can be accessed in one of the following ways:
- When it automatically opens upon CMS startup
- From the main CMS dashboard
- From the SmartServer IoT action menu on the CMS Devices widget
Upon CMS Startup
The SmartServer automatically opens the Manage Licenses dialog upon CMS startup if the device capacity for any segment is zero, or is less than the available device capacity for the segment.
The CMS automatically opens the Manage Licenses dialog if it has not been previously activated after an Owner user logs in.
You can close the Manage Licenses dialog using the Close button (
) without adding a license.
From the CMS Dashboard
The Manage Licenses dialog can be opened from the CMS dashboard by starting the SmartServer CMS as described in Open the SmartServer CMS and clicking anywhere on the License Status display on the main dashboard.
The Manage Licenses dialog opens.
The Manage Licenses dialog can be opened from the Devices widget. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Start the SmartServer CMS as described in Open the SmartServer CMS.
- Open the Devices widget on the SmartServer CMS.
- Click the Action button (Manage Licenses action. ) to the right of the SmartServer IoT device to open the action menu and select the
The Manage Licenses dialog opens.
Viewing Licensing Information
The SmartServer maintains licensing status per device so that the number of licensed devices never exceeds the device capacity for the SmartServer. The information that is displayed on the Manage Licenses dialog (shown below) includes:
- Segment Controller – name of the SmartServer IoT segment controller containing the license
- Description – description of the device capacity and maintenance licenses (e.g.,1000-device capacity, 3-year maintenance)
- Status – maintenance status (i.e., Active, Expiring <date>, or Expired <date> with date using the format YYYY-MM-DD. Example: Expiring 2024-10-23)
- Activation Date
- License ID
- Note – optional information, such as where the SmartServer containing the license is located
The following operations are available from the Manage Licenses dialog:
- The Manage Customer Accounts button (Activating Licenses for more information.) provides the ability to enter a Customer ID for license management. See
- The Download Licenses from the Cloud button (Activating Licenses Online in the Activating Licenses section for more information.) provides the ability to download licenses from the cloud for online activation. See
- The Add License button (Activating Licenses Offline in the Activating Licenses section for more information.) provides the ability to add a license file for offline activation. See
- The Edit Notifications button (Creating License Notifications for more information.) provides the ability to create license notifications. See
- The Transfer Licenses to the Cloud button (Activating Licenses for more information.) provides the ability to transfer licenses to the cloud in order to replace device capacity and/or maintenance licenses. See
- The CLOSE button exits the Manage Licenses dialog.