License Management is available with SmartServer 3.3 and higher.
You can use the License Customer Portal to activate a capacity license offline if a SmartServer does not have an Internet connection. To activate a capacity license offline using the License Customer Portal, perform the following steps:
- Enter the URL for the License Customer Portal below in your browser.
The login view for the License Customer Portal appears.
Click the EID button to login with your License ID or click the Email button to login with your email address. To login with your License ID, click EID and enter your License ID.
To login with your email address, click Email and enter your customer contact email address and password. Customers and contacts are managed by a partner. Once a partner adds a new customer and associates their contact information, you can use this login dialog to set up login credentials by clicking Forgot Password?.
- Click Log In.
The following view appears.
- Obtain your SmartServer install code. You can find your SmartServer install code on the label that is attached to the back of your device, from the System Configuration page, and from the Manage Customer Accounts view.
Run the SmartServer Lock Code Generator utility to convert your SmartServer install code to the lock code number that will be used in the Client 1 Value field (you will use the lock code number in step #10) by performing the following steps:
Click the Downloads tab on the left side of the License Customer Portal.
The Downloads view appears.
Click the Download button for the SmartServer Lock Code Generator utility.
- Once the file is downloaded, move the Lock Code Generator utility zip file onto your computer.
Unzip the Lock Code Generator utility and place all of the contents into a folder on your computer (e.g., lockgen).
Open a command prompt window running as administrator (right-click to select the Run as Administrator action).
- Use the change directory (
cd) command at the command prompt to go to the location where the Lock Code Generator utility files are stored on your PC.
- Run the Lock Code Generator utility using the following command:
lcgen -c <install code>
<install code> is the install code for your SmartServer IoT (obtained in step #4)
When you press return/enter to run the Lock Code Generator utility, a lock code number is generated and displayed on the command prompt window.
Copy/make a note of the utility-generated lock code number (e.g., *1AF82SM5JWQPVDV in the example below).
Example command prompt window for the Lock Code Generator utility
- Click the Entitlements tab on the left side of the License Customer Portal.
The Entitlements view appears.
- Select SmartServer Capacity.
- Click Activate.
The Activate Products view appears.
- Use the Variant box to select SmartServer Capacity Offline.
The Specify Locking Criteria portion of the Activate Products view appears.
- Enter the lock code number that was generated by the Lock Code Generator utility (from step #5) in the Client 1 Value field.
- Click Complete Activation.
The License Certificate view appears.
Click Save License to save the license file to your PC. You can also enter an email address and click Send to have the file sent to your email. To prevent loading a license file on the wrong SmartServer, add the SmartServer install code to the license filename. For example, rename lservrc to lservrc_<install code>.
- Click Close on the License Certificate view to return to the Entitlements view.
Once you have the offline activation file, you can use it to activate the device capacity license either using the SmartServer CMS or the SmartServer USB drive. Continue with Activating Licenses Offline using the CMS or USB Drive depending on the method you will be using.